Hello SUMMER!! Warm weather, sunshine-filled days and vacations (or staycations!) are on the agenda, and we are ready for it all -- with our favorite oils and Young Living products in tow! Here are some of our best tips, tricks, recipes and DIYS for enjoying the summer months to the fullest.
Two simple steps for getting that beach body:
1. Have a body.
2. Go to the beach.
Of course, it wouldn't hurt if our skin was smooth & glowing too right?! A few of our favorite summer body DIYS!
Margarita Body Scrub via Hello Glow
- 1/2 cup salt- You can use regular salt, kosher salt or leftover margarita salt.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons tequila
- Juice of 1 lime
- A few drops of Lime EO
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl until you have a paste. Add more olive oil if needed. Then scrub away in the shower. One note of caution – use the scrub before you shave, not after, because it might burn. The tequila and lime juice are natural antiseptics, the salt exfoliates any dead skin, and the olive oil adds lots of moisture!
Grapefruit Body Smoothing Oil
- Cel-Lite Magic Massage Oil
- Grapefruit Essential Oil
- In your hands, mix together one pump of Cel-Lite Magic + one drop of Grapefruit. Massage into legs and arms in a circular motion. Continue on any areas that need a little extra smoothing & get your beauty sleep! Be sure to shower before going out in the sun!
DIY Summer Glow Serum
Ditch all the other moisturizers and serums because this one is the game-changer! Apply morning and evening for healthy, glowing skin. (PS - CBD Beauty Boost has been nicknamed ‘Botox in a Bottle' so you know it's good!)
DIY Vitamin C Facial Toner
Vitamin C and Geranium are a dynamic duo when it comes to brightening the skin. Try out this simple toner as we head into the summer!
- 2oz glass dropper bottle
- 1&1/2 tsp Organic vitamin C powder
- 5 drops Geranium essential oil
- 3 Tbsp distilled water
- Splash alcohol-free witch hazel (optional for more oil-prone skin)
- Mix vitamin C powder into the water until dissolved, then add Geranium and top with a splash of witch hazel (optional). Use morning and evening or as desired.
- Store up to 2 weeks at room temperature or longer in the fridge.
Moisturizing Oatmeal Soak
Sun and wind and heat can leave the skin needing a little extra moisture. Give your skin (and your whole self!) some TLC with a long, luxurious soak with these simple but effective ingredients.
School may be out for the summer, but we aren't getting lax on our wellness routines! Summer is a great time to really focus on great daily wellness habits that we can continue when the colder months arrive! Here are some simple things we're doing everyday this summer to focus on true self-care and overall health.
Master Formula: Our favorite daily multivitamin that packs a HUGE nutritional punch and helps us work towards daily wellness. The prepackaged capsules make traveling with this supplement so easy, too!
Daily NingXia Red: If there were only one habit that you could start or continue during the summer, a daily dose of NingXia Red would be it! This delicious supplement is a powerhouse of antioxidants and nutrients that we want for everyone in the family.
Wellness roller: We roll this blend over the lymph nodes, on the feet or along the spine morning and evening year round, then use it more frequently as needed! To a 10mL roller bottle add:
- 25 drops each Thieves, Pine, Lemon
- 20 drops each Geranium, Frankincense
- Fill with carrier of choice
If we are awake, our diffuser is on! Diffusing is such an incredible health habit. Not only will your home or office (or car!!) smell amazing, you get the health benefits of breathing in the oils. And in fact, our diffusers are running when we sleep too!
- Start the morning off with Raven + Lemon to get everyone going and support the airways.
- Set the stage for peaceful midday rest with Lavender, Grapefruit + Vanilla.
- Bring the ‘afternoon pick-me-up' vibes of a cup of coffee with Peppermint + Tangerine + Stress Away.
- End your day with Thieves + Cedarwood to boost immunity and promote restful sleep.
FUN IN THE SUN
Tis the season for hot, sunshine-filled days, and we want to soak in every second of it while staying safe and healthy. Here are our top three necessities for safe, healthy fun in the sun!
Hands-down, the Young Living Mineral Sunscreen is our favorite sunscreen. It checks all of our boxes -- reef-safe, effective, all natural, great for all skin types, non-nano zinc, won't clog pores. What else is there?!
- Quick tip!! Make application easy with this hack!
- Continuous spray bottle
- Bottle of YL Mineral Sunscreen
- 5 TBSP fractionated coconut oil or ClaraDerm Cooling Mist
- 20 drops Carrot Seed essential oil
- Optional: 30 drops Citronella essential oil
- Add all items to the spray bottle and shake well!
- Quick tip!! For easy application (especially with kids!), you can dab sunscreen on the face and blend in with a makeup blending brush! Alternatively, dab the sunscreen onto the brush, then apply to the skin.
LavaDerm After Sun Spray
LavaDerm After Sun Spray is your first aid kit BFF!! LavaDerm brings relief from the pain and itching of minor burns, cuts, sunburns, scrapes, insect bites, or really any minor skin irritation. Whether or not your skin has seen a little too much sun or wind, this spray will help you feel soothed and refreshed! Apply after a day outdoors for a sigh of relief.
- Quick tip!! If you need some relief ASAP and don't have any LavDerm on hand, try this DIY After Sun Spray:
- Small continuous spray bottle
- 25 drops each Lavender, Frankincense
- 18 drops each Tea Tree, Peppermint
- V-6 Vegetable Oil carrier or carrier of choice
Insect Repellent & Insect Repellent Wipes
No one wants to come in from a wonderful day outdoors with tons of itchy bites from outdoor pests… and you won't have to with the Young Living Insect Repellent! This liquid formula effectively prevents mosquito, flea, and tick bites, so you can enjoy the great outdoors worry free!!
- Insect Repellent Spray Hack! Grab the Insect Repellent bottle and make it into a spray for easy use:
- Continuous spray bottle
- Bottle of YL Insect Repellant
- 3 TBSP fractionated coconut oil or ClaraDerm Cooling Mist
- 20 drops Citronella essential oil
- Add all items to the spray bottle, but add the insect repellent last (it will not all fit!)
- Quick tip! If you live in a state that has shipping exclusions for the Insect Repellant, try the wipes! Still can't order because of limitations? Add a spray top directly to your bottle of Citronella. Also try this DIY Outdoor Spray
- Small continuous spray bottle
- 25 drops each Citronella, Geranium, Lemongrass, Lavender
- 20 drops Eucalyptus Radiata, Tea Tree
- V-6 Vegetable Oil carrier or carrier of choice or ¼ part Witch Hazel to ¾ part Distilled Water
- Note: If you want to use a larger bottle, simply double the recipe. Also if you feel you need a stronger formula or are extremely susceptible to outdoor pests add more
Citronella, Lemongrass and/or Geranium!
- DIY Itch Stick: for those times you forget your insect repellent!
- In a rollerball, combine 10 drops Purification, 10 drops Lavender + 10 drops Lemon, and top with a carrier oil. Roll on bug bites & itches.
- Quick tip! Dining outside & want to keep the bugs away? Grab an outdoor fan, put a few drops of Citronella + Geranium on a clothespin (or two!) & attach to the front of the fan & you have yourself a giant outdoor diffuser!
SWEET SUMMERTIME DIYS
Mermaid Hair Salt Mist - For mermaid-inspired waves any day of the week!
- In a 4 oz. glass spray bottle:
- Warm water
- 1 tsp fine grain sea salt
- 1 TBSP. fractionated coconut oil
- 10 drops each Lavender, Grapefruit, Rosemary
- Mix water and salt gently, then add in remaining ingredients and shake to combine. Spray it in your hair after towel drying & get soft, beachy waves!!
Mermaid Hair Detangler Spray - for soft, smooth post-pool locks!
- 1 bottle Royal Hawaiian Sandalwood Hydrosol
- 1 Tbsp Copaiba Vanilla Conditioner
- 10 drops each Lavender, Rosemary, Grapefruit
- Add essential oils and conditioner to the bottle of Royal Hawaiian Sandalwood Hydrosol and shake well. Use after a shower as a detangler!
DIY Nail Polish Remover - a non-tox way to have pretty nails and toenails!
- 2oz glass dropper bottle
- 2-3 drops each Grapefruit, Orange essential oils
- 5-6 drops Lemon essential oil
- Rubbing alcohol
- White vinegar
- Add essential oils to the bottle, then fill the remaining amount of the bottle with 2/3 rubbing alcohol and 1/3 vinegar. Gently shake gently to mix. Add solution to a cotton pad and wipe your nails clean. Voila!
Summer and citrus oils are synonymous, and we are all about using citrus oils this time of year! As always, we want to keep everyone healthy and safe, so make sure to separate application of citrus oils and exposure to sunlight. As a general rule, avoid direct UV exposure of an area where you applied citrus oils for a minimum of 12 hours, up to 48 hours.
WHY? Citrus oils (and some others) contain natural molecules that react with sunlight and can cause sensitivity to the skin. All of the Young Living oils and blends that contain these compounds are labeled with a warning to avoid sun/UV light for 12 to 48 hours after applying.
Does that mean you have to put your beloved grapefruit and bergamot away for the summer? No way! Just apply to areas that won't be exposed to the sun for at least 24 hours (basically under your clothes). And you can always diffuse!!!
Oils that shouldn't see the sun:
- Lemon Verbena
- Citrus Fresh
- Jade Lemon
- German Chamomile
- Christmas Spirit
- Deep Relief
- Dragon Time
- Dream Catcher
- Gentle Baby
- Inner Child
- Into the Future
- Live with Passion
- Peace & Calming
- Stress Away
- Trauma Life
- White Angelica
Summertime and beach trips are synonymous, and we are ready for all the sunshine and sand! Here's what we're packing in our beach bags this year….
- NingXia Red packets: freeze them overnight for a slushie-like treat
- Lavender Lemonade Vitality Drops: to keep us hydrated
- Thieves Hand Sanitizer & Spray: for clean hands, e-readers, toys, phones, etc!
- Lavender Lip Balm: great for lips, cheeks, noses and makes a great carrier stick too!
- Seedlings Baby Wipes: for clean hands, even in the sand!
- Quick tip!! Easily remove all the sand from everyone's feet, legs, and hands with Seedlings Baby Wipes! We keep a pack in each bag for easy sand removal and clean, fresh hands!
NINGXIA RED RECIPES
Daily Red is a thing in our household - everyone gets their NingXia Red every day! And whether we just want to mix things up a bit or want a healthier alternative to conventional options, these NingXia Red recipes are favorites in our summer rotation!
Superfood Lemonade Popsicles
These simple, delicious popsicles are a HUGE hit in our house, and my kids love to help make them! The best part is you can't mess them up. There isn't a specific amount of each ingredient needed, so just pour a little of each item into your mold and go!
- Ningxia Red
- Ningxia Zyng
- Citrus Fresh Vitality
- In a popsicle mold, add equal parts Ningxia and Lemonade, 1 drop of Citrus Fresh and top with Ningxia Zyng. Do this in layers for a pretty end result!
- Quick tip! Heading out to the pool, beach or for a hike? Simply freeze your NingXia packets overnight, then pack in a plastic bag and enjoy that afternoon as a cool, slushie-like treat!
Anytime NingXia Spritzers
Whether you're pool side, riding in the car or simply lounging on your cough or porch, this spritzer is the perfect companion. But be warned, your kids/spouse/friends/dog will want to steal it!
- 1 can sparkling water in your favorite flavor
- 1/3-1/2 bottle of kombucha
- 4oz Ningxia Red
- 1-2 drops Grapefruit or Tangerine Vitality oils
- 1 squirt of Grapefruit Bergamot Vitality Drops
- Optional: ½-1 can NingXia Zyng
- Add all to a glass, stir well and enjoy!
Go Red Electrolyte Replacement
Ditch the artificially flavored and colored electrolyte drinks and whip up your own with this simple recipe! You can also always grab the Lavender Lemonade or Grapefruit Bergamot Vitality Drops for a quick electrolyte boost as well!
- 1 cup coconut water
- 4 oz Ningxia Red
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 lime juiced
- 1-2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1-2 drops Young Living Vitality oil of choice: Tangerine, Orange, Lime, Citrus Fresh, or Grapefruit
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix all ingredients in a blender with some ice for one of the most refreshing drinks EVER. You could even do this without a blender - just throw everything in a shaker cup, and shake well!
SUMMER BLOCKBUSTER DIFFUSER BLENDS
Summertime movies on the lawn anyone?! These blends are reminiscent of warm nights in the grass watching our favorite movies with our favorite people.
- Sweet Magnolias: 4 drops Orange + 3 drops Vanilla + 3 drops Grapefruit + 2 drops Lime
- Emily in Paris: 4 drops Jasmine + 3 drops Tangerine + 3 drops Ylang ylang + 2 drops Lime
- Yellowstone: 4 drops Northern Lights Black Spruce + 3 drops Bergamot + 3 drops Vanilla + 2 drops Clove
- Grease: 4 drops Stress Away + 3 drops Neroli or Orange + 4 drops Jasmine
- The Sandlot: 5 drops KidPower (or Valor + Vanilla) + 3 drops Ylang ylang + 3 drops Lavender
- Mama Mia: 4 drops Royal Hawaiian Sandalwood (or Cedarwood) + 3 drops Lime + 3 drops Lemon + 2 drops Tangerine
Give your home a summer refresh with these simple tips!
Summertime Citrus Thieves Cleaner
- 16 oz glass spray bottle
- 1-2 capfuls Thieves Household Cleaner
- 15 drops each Orange, Bergamot, Jade Lemon
- 10 drops Palmarosa or Ylang ylang
- Add cleaner and oils to a 16oz glass spray bottle, then fill with water. Use for all your cleaning needs!
Seaside Breeze Room Spray
- 16 oz glass spray bottle
- 15 drops each Lime, Rosemary, Lavender Bergamot
- Splash of witch hazel
- Filtered water
- Add oils, water and witch hazel to your spray bottle. Spray around the room, on curtains or carpet to freshen your home & make it smell like a beach house!
Flower Saver Hack
Bringing all those lilacs & hydrangeas inside from the garden? Try this hack! Put them in a vase of water with a sprinkle of sugar, a drop of Purification, and a penny to keep them fresher longer! Purification in the diffuser is also amazing in bathrooms, laundry rooms or anywhere that might get a little hot & stuffy in the summer heat!